PIKELETS WITH MAPLE-WALNUT BUTTER AND BANANAS





I feel like pikelets are one of those dishes you are supposed to grow out of as you progress on to pancakes. I remember cooking them for lunch with my parents when I was young, we'd slather them in the most delicious strawberry jam that had been made by either myself, my Mum or my Nan. There are so many jars in the cupboard that the hand-written label is the only feature which allows us to distinguish between makers. Jam aside, pikelets are such a nostalgic eat, but I thought I'd put a (kind of) grown up spin on them. Maple-walnut butter is just as good as it sounds, and even better with fresh slices of banana.

Pikelets with maple-walnut butter and bananas

What you'll need:
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Maple-walnut butter:
150g butter, softened
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
2 bananas, sliced

What to do:
Mix together the butter, syrup and walnuts, and refrigerate until  it has hardened.

Whisk the flour, milk, sugar, egg and vanilla together until smooth. Place a large frypan over medium heat and grease with a knob of butter. Once butter has melted, place spoonfuls of the mixture in the pan. Wait for bubbles to appear and start popping on each pikelet before you flip them over. Cook pikelets in batches and then serve warm with the maple-walnut butter and sliced banana. Enjoy!