FINGER LICKIN' FRIDAY



Vanilla Pancakes with Passionfruit Caramel

Passionfruit is such a tropical fruit and it is a nostalgic trigger for me. Just the smell of this zingy fruit reminds me of my childhood spent living in Tropical North Queensland, playing on the beach, cooking with my Mum, fishing with my Dad, and exploring the Great Barrier Reef. Having just returned from a quick yet wonderful holiday to Fitzroy Island, I've been craving some more of that tropical vibe. While I'd love to be back up north sipping cocktails on the beach and snorkelling, I got my sweet, sweet tropical fix atop a fluffy pancake stack for breakfast this morning. 




Ingredients:
Pancakes:
2 cups self-raising flour
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste

Passionfruit Caramel:
Pulp of 6 passionfruit
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup water

Whipped cream or ice-cream, to serve

Method:
For the pancakes, combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and cook pancakes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm in the oven.

To make passionfruit caramel, combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat and stir until sugar has dissolved, or until the mixture starts to boil. Allow to boil and when the caramel turns a light golden colour, add the passionfruit pulp and swirl the pan to combine. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until passionfruit caramel is thick and sticky. Serve with pancakes and whipped cream.